Russell is an experienced commercial, employment and workplace mediator with experience of multi-party mediations and a high success rate. Qualifying as a mediator in 2004, he undertook a Post Graduate Diploma in International Mediation for which he was awarded a distinction by London University in 2009. He is a Mediation Fellow and an Arbitration Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. Russell has been appointed as a mediator in the following types of dispute:
- Commercial agency including claims under the 1993 Regulations
- Employment and workplace conflicts
- Restrictive covenants (both in employment and upon business sale)
- Sports law involving the departure of managers and players
- Construction (including domestic contacts for work and materials)
- Shareholder disputes in private companies
- Commercial leasing agreements
- Estate agents’ commission
- Contractual disputes between commercial entities
- Partnership disputes
- Insolvency (personal and corporate)
In addition, Russell regularly represents parties at mediations as an advocate.
Russell has almost30 years’ experience as a practising barrister providing advisory and advocacy expertise across a wide spectrum of civil practice areas. He is based at No 5 Chambers, the largest set of barristers’ chambers in the country, with offices in London, Birmingham, Bristol and Leicester and he can provide mediation facilities at all those centres. The majority of his practice relates to employment and business orientated disputes; particularly the breakdown of business relationships such as franchises, commercial agencies, distributorships and partnerships. He also undertakes stress at work / bulling claims, professional (non-medical) negligence and construction disputes.
He is described by the Legal 500 as “a robust and persuasive advocate” and a ”first tier barrister” who has a “great ability to tease out the real issues in a complex legal dispute”.